What is Methyldopa?
Methyldopa is used in the treatment of high blood pressure with diuretics. It is also used in high blood pressure crises, when immediate treatment is not needed.
It seems that the effect of this reaper in lowering blood pressure is due to its conversion to alpha-methyl norepinephrine. Alpha-methyl norepinephrine centrally reduces sympathetic flow and thus lowers blood pressure.
The uptake of methyl dopa from the gastrointestinal tract is variable. Methel dopa is extensively converted to alpha-methyl norepinephrine in central adrenergic neurons. Its half-life is 1.7 hours in healthy maple in alpha phase and 3.6 hours in people with urinary incontinence in alpha phase. The time required to reach the peak effect after consuming a single amount is 4-6 hours and after consuming multiple amounts is 2-3 days. The duration of effect of the drug is 12-24 hours with a single dose and 24-48 hours with multiple doses. Methylpupa is excreted by the kidneys.
Contraindications to the use of Methyldopa
This drug should not be used in active liver disease (acute hepatitis and active cirrhosis).
Side effects of Methyldopa
Cardiovascular: Bradycardia, heart failure, exacerbation of angina pectoris, myocarditis, postural hypotension, paradoxical response to hypertension (intravenous use), pericarditis, peripheral edema, prolonged carotid sinus syncope, vasculitis (inflammation of blood vessels)
Central Nervous System: Bell’s palsy, cerebrovascular insufficiency, sphincter atheism, decreased brain function, depression, dizziness, drug fever, headache, nightmare, limb drowsiness, Parkinson’s disease, sedation
Cutaneous: Cutaneous rash, toxic epidermal necrosis
Endocrinology and metabolism: amenorrhea, decreased libido, gynecomastia, increased blood prolactin, weight gain
Gastrointestinal: bloating, colitis, constipation, diarrhea, bloating, tongue pain, blackening of the tongue, nausea, pancreatitis, sialadenitis (inflammation of the salivary glands), vomiting, dry mouth
Genitourinary: breast hypertrophy, impotence, milk production
Hematology and oncology: Bone marrow suppression, increased eosinophil count, granulocytopenia, hemolytic anemia, leukopenia, ANA positive titer, direct Coombs test positive, thrombocytopenia
Liver: Liver dysfunction, liver disease (hepatitis), jaundice
Neuromuscular and musculoskeletal: joint pain, lupus-like syndrome, muscle pain, positive rheumatoid factor test, weakness
Renal: Increased BUN
Respiratory: nasal congestion
Miscellaneous: Positive diagnostic test for lupus erythematosus
Drug Interactions MethylDopa
Exacerbation of bradycardia
Intensifying CNS debilitating effects
Intensification of the effects of hyperprolactinemia (moderate)
Bipolar decarboxylase inhibitor
Interference with the effect of radio norepinephrine analogues was shown
Category X Interactions (Avoidance)
Bromperidol, Faxinidazole, Ayubenguan, Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors
Reducing the effects of drugs by Methyldopa:
Ayubanguan Radiopharmaceutical Products
Reducing the effects of Methyldopa by drugs:
Amphetamines, Brigatinib, Bromperidol, Dex Methylphenidate, Herbs (with antihypertensive properties), Iron products, Methylphenidate, Mirtazapine, Multivitamin / Mineral (containing vitamins A, D, E, Ca, Mahogene, and Serotone Folate Curse, tricyclic antidepressants, yohimbine
Enhancing the effects of drugs by Methyldopa:
Amifustine, antipsychotic drugs (second generation [atypical]), beta-blockers, drugs that aggravate bradycardia, bromoperidol, seritinib, duloxetine, fexinidazole, compounds with antihypertensive effect, ivabradine, lacosamide, levodimide, fulodrope , Riluzole, Siponomid
Enhancing the effects of drugs by Methyl dopa:
Alfuzosin, Barbiturates, Benperidol, Beta-blockers, Brigatinib, Brimonidine (topical), COMT inhibitors, Diazoxide, Herbs (hypertensive), Lormetazepam, Midodrine, Molsidomin, Neftazuridone nylon inhibitors Phosphodiesterase 5 inhibitors, Prostacyclin analogues, Kinagolid, Roxolitinib, Terlipressin, Tofacitinib
- It should be used with extreme caution in the following cases: history of hemolytic anemia due to autoimmune disease, history of liver disease with previous use of methyl dopa and renal and pheochromocytoma defects.
- The Coombs test may be positive in 20% of drug-treated patients, which may interfere with the donor-recipient blood compatibility test.
- While taking the medicine, a blood cell count and a liver function test may be necessary.
- It is necessary to measure blood pressure at regular intervals during treatment with this drug
MethylDopa drug recommendations
- This drug should be continued even if you feel better.
- This drug does not increase blood pressure in us, but it controls it. Therefore, its consumption may be necessary for the rest of your life.The use of other drugs, especially sympathomimetic drugs that do not require a prescription, should be avoided.
- In case of fever, it is necessary to see a doctor.
- To minimize the sedative effect of methyl dopa, any increase in the amount of drug should be done in the evening.
- If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you remember, unless it is almost time to take the next dose, in which case the dose should not be doubled.
- Caution should be exercised when driving or working with equipment that requires alertness.
Was this helpful?
0 / 0