What is Hydantic?
Phenytoin in the control of all types of epilepsy except minor epileptic seizures and treatment of trigeminal neuralgia, persistent epileptic seizures, cardiac arrhythmias and also to accelerate wound healing (topically) to It works.
- If you take a large amount of the drug, the liver metabolism may be saturated and the plasma concentration of the drug may exceed the therapeutic range and toxicity may occur.
- In liver failure, porphyria and kidney failure should be used with great caution.
- This drug may reduce the plasma concentration of calcium and, as a result, develop rash and osteomalacia.
- Intravenous injection of phenytoin at a rate greater than 50 mg / min may lead to cardiovascular collapse with arrhythmia, hypotension, CNS weakness, and changes in respiratory function (including respiratory arrest).
- It is necessary to perform a complete blood cell count test, measure liver function, determine blood pressure, check the function of the cardiovascular and respiratory systems, check the condition of the teeth, electroencephalogram and determine the concentration of the drug in serum during treatment with this drug.
Drug Interactions Hydantic
It reduces the plasma concentrations of clonazepam, carbamazepine and valproate and increases the plasma concentrations of phenobarbital. Occasionally it also lowers the plasma concentrations of ethosoxide and primidone. Acetylsalicylic acid, antibacterial drugs including chloramphenicol, cycloserine, isoniazid, cotrimoxazole and metronidazole, as well as fluoxetine, diltiazem, nifedipine and cimetidine increase the phenytoin plasma concentrations. This drug reduces the metabolism of warfarin. Antidepressants and antipsychotics counteract the anticonvulsant effect of this drug by lowering the seizure threshold. Phenytoin reduces the plasma concentrations of tricyclic antidepressants. Cyclosporine metabolism is accelerated by phenytoin and as a result its plasma concentration decreases. Phenytoin increases the metabolism of oral contraceptives and thus reduces their effectiveness.
Recommended tips Hydantic
- Abrupt discontinuation of this drug should be avoided.
- In case of liver failure, the dose of the drug should be reduced.
- To reduce gastrointestinal irritation, the drug should be taken with food or milk.
- Observing dental hygiene and regular visits to the dentist, to some extent, prevents sensitization, bleeding and enlargement of the gums.
- Phenytoin consumption during pregnancy increases the risk of fatal bleeding in the first 24 hours of birth. This risk can be reduced by giving prenatal vitamin K to the mother and the baby at birth.
- Intramuscular injection of this drug is not recommended.
- It is recommended that injectable sodium phenytoin not be added to bulk intravenous fluids or mixed with other drugs, as it may precipitate.
- Leakage of the drug to the tissues around the vessel should be avoided.
- Caution should be exercised when driving or operating machinery that requires alertness.
Was this helpful?
0 / 0