Betamethasone is a class of corticosteroids (corticosteroids). This steroid drug is produced in various forms of oral, injectable and topical drugs and is prescribed in different situations.
Oral and injectable form of betamethasone due to its immunosuppressive effects in the treatment of some autoimmune diseases (in which the body’s immune system damages parts of the body) such as lupus, hepatitis due to autoimmune diseases, diseases It is prescribed for muscles and joints such as rheumatism, allergies and asthma.
It is also used as an adjunct in the treatment of some cancers.
Betamethasone reduces the symptoms of inflammation and allergies by inhibiting the release of certain chemical vectors that are responsible for causing inflammation.
It is also used as an alternative treatment for people with adrenal disorders who do not produce enough corticosteroids.
Before starting consumption
- Tell your doctor if you have high blood pressure.
- Tell your doctor if you have a history of heart attack or any heart problems, liver or kidney problems.
- Tell your doctor if you need to take betamethasone for a long time and have a family history of diabetes or glaucoma.
- Tell your doctor if you have hypothyroidism, osteoporosis, epilepsy, myasthenia gravis muscle weakness, stomach ulcers or any gastrointestinal disease or mental disorders.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding or planning to become pregnant, be sure to tell your doctor before taking this medicine.
- Because the drug suppresses the immune system can lead to recurrence of infections or their exacerbation in the body, so the history of any infection in recent months and a history of tuberculosis, be sure to see a doctor. Inform yourself.
- Be sure to tell your doctor if you have a history of blood clots in your arteries or a history of angiography.
- If you are planning to get vaccinated or have recently received a vaccine, be sure to tell your doctor.
- Make a complete list of your medications (even over-the-counter medications) and herbal supplements and take them to your doctor and pharmacist to take action if there is any interaction with betamethasone.
- Tell your doctor if you have a history of allergies to this drug or other steroid medications (such as dexamethasone and prednisolone) or progressing muscle pain after taking these medications.
The correct way to consume
- Ask your doctor or pharmacist how to use this medicine correctly. Betamethasone is prescribed in different amounts and times depending on the condition and type of your disease.
- If you are taking oral pills as anti-inflammatory, it is better to take it in the morning after breakfast, and if you have been prescribed this medicine for adrenal insufficiency and steroid deficiency in your body, the best time to take it is at night.
- Betamethasone tablets are easily soluble in water. However, it is best to take the tablet whole with a main meal or snack.
- If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you remember, but if you have forgotten to take the drug for a whole day, do not take the missed dose and take the next dose according to the previous schedule. And do not double the amount of medicine at one time.
- Depending on the type of disease, this medicine may be prescribed to you daily for a short period of treatment. In this case, regular medication is very effective in your recovery
- If you are taking betamethasone for more than 3 weeks, you should stop taking the drug gradually and under the supervision of a doctor, because abrupt discontinuation of this drug can cause side effects, so your doctor will reduce the amount of your drug over time.
If your treatment period with this drug is longer than 3 weeks, it is better to prepare a card and write on it information about the use of this drug and the amount of your use and the type of disease, and keep it in your personal belongings or wallet. Use this information to take action in an emergency.
Also, if you are going to undergo surgery or dental treatment or any treatment for physical injuries, be sure to inform your therapist about taking this medicine and show them the prepared card, because in such Sometimes you may need to reset the dose of this medicine.
During treatment with this drug, be under the supervision of your doctor and perform regular tests and examinations to check the healing process and the possibility of side effects of the drug in you.
Because this drug suppresses the immune system, the risk of infections increases during treatment with this drug, and it is necessary to observe more personal hygiene and close contact with people with infectious diseases (smallpox). Avoid chickenpox, colds, flu, measles, etc.) as much as possible and see your doctor immediately if you notice symptoms of these diseases.
Some vaccines are not suitable for use during treatment with betamethasone, so inform your doctor or person in charge of taking betamethasone before any vaccination.
If you need to take any over-the-counter medication, be sure to consult your pharmacist and make sure that the medication is safe during treatment with steroids.
Abdominal pain, indigestion and nausea are common side effects of oral betamethasone users. If these symptoms occur, you can reduce the severity of these side effects by taking a light meal with medication, but if you have vomiting containing blood, be sure to see your doctor.
Taking this medicine can cause muscle weakness and fatigue in your body, so avoid driving and working with tools that require caution until the effects of the medicine go away.
In case of change in mood, especially at the beginning of treatment with this drug, feeling dizzy, increased emotional sensitivity, unpleasant or inappropriate thoughts, see your doctor immediately.
Taking this medicine may cause sleep problems, headaches, weight gain, or menstrual disorders in women. If these symptoms become severe or bother you, see your doctor.
Taking this drug increases the risk of infection, so if you have symptoms of infection (fever, chills, cold symptoms, diarrhea, etc.) be sure to see a doctor.
If you are taking this medicine for a long time, if you notice any symptoms that you feel are related to taking this medicine, be sure to consult your doctor about them to get the necessary recommendations.
Due to the effect of steroid drugs on bone mass, perform the clinical trials needed to assess bone strength during treatment with this drug, and since long-term use of this drug increases bone vulnerability, Take the necessary precautions.
Was this helpful?
0 / 0